Benvenuti / Welcome to
(page 7 of 9)
A few kilometres outside of Norma, at the foot of the Lepini Mountains is Valvisciolo
Abbey, a fine example of Romanesque-
It is believed that it was founded in the 8th century and is dedicated to San Pietro and Santo Stefano.
In the 13th century the abbey was rebuilt by the Cistercian monks. During the 12th century it was occupied by the Knights of Templar, who were a monastic military order formed in 1112 until their order was abolished.
The abbey is run by monks of the Cistercian order. The facade has a beautiful rose window and the interior is luminous and has elegant simple lines, consisting of a nave and two aisles. At the end of the north nave is the Chapel of Saint Laurence, which has 16th century frescoes painted by Circignani.
Adjacent to the Abbey is a beautiful cloister and garden.
All photos on this page are Public Domain
Website, text, photos
© LM Shapcott 2009 -
All rights Reserved
Except where photos have been rightfully accredited to the photographer / owner