Benvenuti / Welcome to
(page 2 of 9)
Excavations have unearthed the Roman remains of two towers, two temples, a forum, roads, dwelling houses, baths, a spa, and a huge water cistern. Some of the artefacts unearthed are exhibited in the Museo Civico Archeologico Comunale.
The ancient site overlooks the botanical oasis of the Giardini di Ninfa and has panoramic views of the expanse of the Pontine Plain. In the opposite direction are the peaks of the Lepini Mountain range.
The surrounding hillsides are covered with the greenery of chestnut and olive trees.
The “new” town of Norma was established following the abandonment of Norba and the destruction of Ninfa in 1160 by the notorious Saracen pirate Barbarossa. It was built on a hill barely a kilometre from ancient Norba, with a castle at its core, and the town was protected by ring of fortified walls with two gates.
The Castle and its Baronial Palace was occupied by several noble dynasties over the years, such as the Counts of Tuscolo, the Frangiapane, the Colonna and the Caetani familes and briefly by Lucrezia Borgia, who bought it in 1500, however it soon to return to the control of Caetanis. The old church of Santa Maria was built in 1533 by the Caetani family.
The Parish of Norma has almost nothing in its archives dating from before 1592, because in the Spring of that year, the notorious brigand Marco Sciarra and his gang invaded the town, plundering and setting everything alight, killing 48 inhabitants.
In the historic centre is a labyrinth of narrow winding streets, alleyways and steep stairways.
Website, text, photos
© LM Shapcott 2009 -
All rights Reserved
Except where photos have been rightfully accredited to the photographer / owner